Saturday, September 1, 2007

...the many faces of chaos culprit...

So, my EMS career is just at its start... but, i have been blessed to have so many other experiances that I can call upon to make me the best EMT I can... to name a few....

- First Aid Instructor
- First Responder Instructor
- Ski Patroller
- Bike Patroller (just like ski patroller, but on a bike...)
- Dispatcher, for ski/bike patrollers (those who can't... dispatch?? I better leave that one alone... but i love all my dispatchers!)
- Industrial First Aider, on the rigs of alberta... whats that song, Hell for a Basement... rumor has it its all about the oil out here... meih
- and now... EMT, casual for a bunch of services, full time for none... but hoping to get a full time job soon.

While working one of my many jobs, I get quite the variety of calls... such as one the other day...

Drunk Patient (DP): Um.. can you help me
CC: Sure, whats up?
DP: Um, well i was biking, and now i can't drink any more beer...
CC: Hmm.. well, tell me about it...
DP: Well i was laughing at this guy, and i think a wasp or something flew into my mouth
CC: Come on in and have a seat... how does you drinking beer have anything to do with being stung in the mouth?
DP: Well, its getting hard to swallow, but breathing is ok, i just want to drink more and its tough...

We continue to banter back and forth while more of his friends come and go from my clinic and i continue to monitor for all signs of difficulty breathing... give some hummidifyed oxygen because i have to think of someway to decrease swelling and thats all I come up with...

15 min later...

DP: I feel so much better now, i can go and drink some more
CC: I don't think thats such a great idea, i think you should go and get checked out at the local ED
DP: Nah, i'll go and drink more untill i pass out, if i'm not better in the morning, i'll go...

*sigh* you can't beat stupid... I did my bets to tell this guy what could happen if he drinks, passes out, and swelling continues he's too wasted to wake up...

He signs my refusal and leaves.. a friend of mine that works for the local ambuance tells me of this party he went to and a guy was unconscious.. something about swelling... go figure...

I love my job...

1 comment:

Mastabattas said...

Hey missy poo. Why aren't you advertising the Canadian Paramedic Web on your blog? You can use it as one of your 5 for an entry in the contest!